By supporting Monterey Public Library Friends & Foundation, you can help sustain and enhance our own very special library.
In times of economic hardship, public health and social crisis, and widespread misinformation and disinformation, libraries are more important than ever. As a department of the City, the Monterey Public Library is primarily supported by the City General Fund. However, City budgets are always limited, and there are valuable library programs and services that can’t be provided with public funds alone.
The Friends of the Monterey Public Library was established in 1999 by a group of far-sighted citizens who recognized that an exceptional Library requires community support. For two decades the Friends generated support for the Library through memberships, fundraising events, and grants, contributing over $700,000 to support library programs and services.
In January 2020, the Friends became the Monterey Public Library Friends and Foundation. The new name signifies an expanded mission: seeking larger donations, bequests, and endowment gifts to enhance library services now and for generations to come. Monterey Learns!, MPLF&F’s first-ever major fundraising campaign surpassed its $300,000 goal, raising $349,675 from September 2020 until April this year for library collections, programs, and services.
In the past 20 years, the Friends and MPLF&F have raised funds to:
- provide hundreds of programs for kids, teens, and adults
- add thousands of books, audio books, DVDs and ebooks to the library collection
- establish the MPL Endowment
- furnish the youth area in age-appropriate, child-friendly style
- conduct community engagement, outreach, and media campaigns
- present awards to recognize student scholarship for the Monterey County High School Poetry Contest
- provide a Story Center Listening Station and a 3-D printer
- improve library signs and book carts
- acquire 21st century circulation technology
- replace obsolete laptop computers for public use
- add California History Room staffing and collections
We welcome you to:
- Sign up for our email list to learn about activities, events, and opportunities to support the library.
- Donate now online, or learn about more ways to give. When you make a donation, you are automatically added to the email list. You may unsubscribe at any time.
- Volunteer to help with book sales, events, fundraising, or community outreach and advocacy.
Board of Directors
Nancy Da Silva
Diane de Lorimier
Jerry Giamona, Treasurer
Douglas Holtzman, Recording Secretary
Allie Ladio, President
Sue Moore, Vice-President
Library Board of Trustees Advisor: Janie Silveria