Even in a community that loves its library, public funding alone has never been enough to provide all the important resources our residents seek.
In March 2020, the Library’s doors closed because of the global pandemic. The pandemic’s impact on tourism and the local economy drastically reduced City revenue. As a result, the City reduced the Library’s budget by over 65%, cut the staff by 80%, and eliminated the book budget entirely.
The Friends & Foundation began raising targeted funds for the collections in late 2020, and the Monterey Learns! Campaign was launched publicly in February 2021.
What Will Monterey Learns! Accomplish?
Working together, we will:
- make sure kids and teens have the tools they need to become strong readers, so that we raise thoughtful, engaged citizens
- put books in the hands of adults, making sure that the latest best-sellers — as well as resources that shed light on our times — are there to help navigate a world rife with misinformation
- present meaningful programs for all ages — from toddlers to teens to seniors — that nurture literacy and the imagination, helping us come together as a community at this time when we cannot gather in person
- ensure that information from the unique historical archives held in California’s first public library is accessible so that we, and researchers worldwide, can learn from our past and envision our future
- ease the strain of distance-learning for our families and teachers by ensuring that a trusted librarian is just a phone call away, and that reliable, carefully curated online resources, like bilingual homework assistance, remain available
Libraries are at the heart of community, culture, education, and democracy. Working together, we will meet the moment, sustain our public library, and help our community thrive.
How to Make a Gift or Become Involved
- Donate online now
- See the Ways to Give page
- Email or call the Friends & Foundation at info@InvestinMPL.org or (831) 646-5605
- Email or call Mary Jane Perna in the MPL Fund Development Office at email@example.com or (831) 646-5632
Support the Monterey Public Library and, together, we will learn into the future.