Even in a community that loves its library, public funding alone has never been enough to provide all the important resources our residents seek.
In March 2020, the Library’s doors closed because of the global pandemic: the impact on tourism and the local economy drastically reduced City—and Library—funding: the staff was cut by 80% — and the book budget eliminated entirely.
In September 2020, the MPL Friends & Foundation seized the moment and quietly began raising funds, with a $200,000 goal. The goal was increased in the Summer of 2021 and, with your help, we will reach our revised goal of $300,000 when the Monterey Learns! Campaign concludes in February 2022.
While our doors are now open and the local economy is beginning to recover, we know that it will be years before Library funding is appropriately restored.
Please join us!
Campaign Giving Opportunities:
- Collections Sponsorships
Children, Teens, Adults
Audiobooks, Ebooks, Music, DVDs, Databases
- Preserving Our History & Our Stories
California Research Historian
Our Past in Pictures: making the photographic record accessible
Preserving Monterey’s Public Record
- Learning Together: Virtual & In-Person Programs & Events for Adults, Children, and Teens
- Laptop Lending Program
- 21st Century Circulation Technology
Libraries are at the heart of community, culture, education, and democracy. Working together, we will meet the moment, sustain our public library, and help our community thrive.
How to Make a Gift or Become Involved
- Donate online now
- See the Ways to Give page
- Email or call the Friends & Foundation at info@InvestinMPL.org or (831) 646-5605
- Email or call Mary Jane Perna in the MPL Fund Development Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or (831) 646-5632
Support the Monterey Public Library and, together, we will learn into the future.